ABE Online Courses
Online Course Information
What is an online course?
In an online course, course instruction, learning activites, and interactions between faculty and students take place online on a course Web site.
Online courses are conducted over the Internet and typically do not have regular meetings in a physical space. Students need Windows 95 or above and a PC or Macintosh with at least a 14.4 modem, an Internet service provider, and a web browser. Course materials are available online at a dedicated course website. Class activites, including most instructor/student communications, are conducted via the course website.
Some online courses have required on-campus orientation sessions and a few online courses meet from one to four times per semester for up to 12 hours total for review sessions or other class activities.
What technical or computer skills do I need to take an online course?
- how to operate a word processing program, preferably Microsoft Word,
- how to type,
- how to send email,
- how to use a discussion board,
- how to do basic downloads from the internet, and
- how to attach files.
You may also need to know, or learn:
- how to follow instructions for updating your browser,
- how to download and install special plug-ins.
Online course Instructions
1. Click on the following link to ensure you have the system requirements necessary to take an online course.
Information about On-line Learning
Will I have to come to campus to take tests or attend classes?
You may. Some courses are delivered entirely at a distance. Others may require a pre & post test, orientation plus any scheduled classes.