Jobs and Careers Related to our Courses
Many of the courses in our quarterly Schedule of Classes brochure can prepare you for, or enhance your skills in, many different jobs. Here are just some of the possibilities:
Our Business Skills courses (Grammar For Your Job, Business Writing, etc.) can help you improve your performance in almost any kind of job. Our Child Care courses can prepare you to be a child care worker, manager, supervisor, or director. If you have a question about what child care course is appropriate for you, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 443-518-4049. Our Occupational courses can prepare you for work in such fields as commercial driving, insurance, mediation, and real estate. Our Leadership & Supervision courses build your executive management skills. Our Project Management courses help you prepare for the Project Management Professional (PMP) exam. And for PMPs who want to refine their skills and earn PDUs, we have courses for you, too.
New booklet on HCC courses leading to jobs! For more information
Our Computers & Information Technology courses can build your skills for administrative and clerical positions as well as programming and networking positions. If you have a question about what courses to take for a certain information technology profession, email Bev Johnson or call 443-518-4973. Our Health Care courses can help former nurses regain certification and current nurses update their skills. They can also prepare you for a medical office job, such as medical billing/coding, medical transcription, medical office management; or for patient care, such as Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), phlebotomist, dental assistant, or pharmacy technician (click link to download legal-size PDF brochures). Refresher courses for nurses are also available. If you're not sure which medical course is right for you, call 443-518-4944.
CAREER PLANNING AND PERSONAL COUNSELING
When you're ready for a job search, the college's Counseling and Career Services Office can help you with creating and refining your resume, identifying potential employers, researching companies, and interviewing skills.The college's Counseling and Career Services Office, located in the Clark Library Building, Room L-140, phone 443-518-1340, offers the following services to continuing education students:
- Personal Counseling. Trying to juggle school, work, and family responsibilities can feel overwhelming. You can receive short-term individual and couples counseling as well as crisis intervention. These services are free to HCC students, by appointment. Everything discussed remains confidential. The staff can also refer you to a wide range of Howard County community programs and services.
- Career Counseling. Whether you are preparing to enter the job market or are considering a career change, you can make an appointment to receive information and advice. Career counselors can also help you with your job search, including reviewing your resume and helping you prepare for interviews.
- Career Information. The office has a career library with materials you can consult on job search topics and occupations.
- Career Events and Workshops. The office's Career Information Series provides a forum to you to learn about various careers from speakers who share what it's like to work in their fields.
- Online Career Assessments. The office offers three personal evaluation systems that can help you analyze your career interests and aptitudes. DISCOVER is a computerized career planning system that helps individuals assess their interests, values, and skills and to explore career and educational options. The MYERS-BRIGGS TYPE INDICATOR helps individuals understand how their personality profile can affect their career decisions. The STRONG INTEREST INVENTORY assesses a person's likes and dislikes among various subjects and compares them to the interests of men and women working in a variety of occupations.
- Job/Career Fairs. These well-attended events are held twice a year to give job seekers the opportunity to meet employers. Many of the area's largest employers participate.
- HCC Jobs Online. This database of job postings and resumes make it easy to match candidates with employers.
- On-Campus Recruiting. Employers come to campus on appointed days to recruit students. Check with the office to determine what employers will be on campus on what days.