Required Safety Gear and Motorcycles
Clothing required for MSF Classes
(Basic Rider, Alternate Basic Rider, and Experienced Rider, mandated by MVA)
Required clothing and gear:
- A motorcycle helmet that meets DOT standards and is either ¾ or full faced. Off road helmets are OK. Snell certified helmets less than five years old are preferred. No half helmets are permitted by The Rider School.
- sturdy, over-the-ankle boots
- long pants and long-sleeved shirt or jacket (For the Total Control class, riding pants or Kevlar jeans)
- sturdy, full-fingered gloves, preferably leather
- eye protection such as safety glasses, helmet face shield, or sunglasses
Gear Available for Loan (Basic and Alternate Basic Rider courses only):
- DOT compliant ¾ helmet
- eye-protection safety glasses
- For the Basic and Basic Alternate Rider courses, you will ride one of our fleet of Suzuki GZ250s. The motorcycles are professionally maintained by a school-trained mechanic and can be ridden by almost anyone of any size.
- For the Experienced Rider course, you must provide your own motorcycle that is properly registered, insured, and safe according to our standards. Scooters, trikes, and sidecar rigs are not allowed. If you're not sure whether your cycle will meet our standards, call 443-518-4186, and we will be happy to give you more detailed information.