Required Safety Gear and Motorcycles
Clothing Required for All Classes
Required clothing and gear:
- A motorcycle helmet that meets DOT standards and is either ¾ or full faced. Off road helmets are OK. Snell certified helmets less than five years old are preferred. No half helmets are permitted by The Rider School.
- sturdy, over-the-ankle boots
- long pants and long-sleeved shirt or jacket
- sturdy, full-fingered gloves, preferably leather
- eye protection such as safety glasses, helmet face shield, or sunglasses
Gear Available for Loan
- DOT compliant ¾ helmet
- eye-protection safety glasses
- For the Basic and Alternate Basic Rider courses, you will ride one of our fleet of Suzuki GZ250s and TU250s. The motorcycles are professionally maintained and can be ridden by almost anyone of any size. If you wish you may ride your own scooter if it is properly registered, insured, safe according to our standards and passes an instructor look-over.
- For other courses, you may provide your own motorcycle or scooter if it is properly registered, insured, safe according to our standards and passes an instructor look-over. We cannot accommodate trikes or sidecar rigs. If you're not sure whether your cycle will meet our standards, call 443-518-4186, and we will be happy to give you more detailed information.